• The treated area may be pink and mildly inflamed (similar to the appearance of a mild sunburn) for 24-48 hours following your SkinPen procedure.
• First 24 hours post-procedure: keep your skin clean of cosmetics or sunscreen for the remainder of the day. You may apply Lift HG or Alastin Regenerating Skin Nectar only.
• If you are prone to herpes simplex outbreaks, such as cold sores, consult your provider on ways to treat prior or whether the procedure is appropriate for you.
• If your face or treatment area has irritated skin (sunburn, open wounds, sores) the day preceding your appointment, please contact our office before your appointment.
• This procedure may not be performed on active breakouts or open lesions. Please consult your provider prior to your SkinPen procedure to address any such issues.
• Wait at least six months post isotretinoin use before your SkinPen procedure, as isotretinoin use may impair proper wound healing.
• If you have recently used spray or self-tanning lotions on treatment areas before your SkinPen procedure, discuss with your provider.
• Avoid sun exposure for 24 hours prior to the procedure.
• Discontinue the use of topical products containing AHAs, Retinol or Vitamin A for 24 hours prior to your SkinPen procedure.
• If you are on autoimmune therapy, ask your provider if the procedure is appropriate for you.
Post Treatment (Same Day)
• Alastin Regenerating Skin Nectar or Skinfuse® Lift HG may be applied the day of the procedure to assist with skin hydration. Re apply as needed, up to 24 hours post procedure.
• Unexpected complications may occur when products not proven safe for use with microneedling are applied post procedure.
• Avoid strenuous exercise or excessive perspiration, as excess blood flow and sweat can cause discomfort and irritation to compromised skin for 72 hours.
• Strictly avoid sun exposure as you will not be wearing sunscreen. You may return to sunscreen use 24 hours following the procedure. Continue to minimize direct and indirect sun exposure for 72 hours following the procedure (including indoor tanning.)
Continued After Care
CLEAN – Use a gentle cleanser and tepid water to cleanse the face for 72 hours post-treatment, and gently dry the treated skin. Always make sure your hands are clean when touching the treated area, and do not use a powered cleansing brush for at least one week after your treatment.
HEAL – Starting 24 hours after treatment, use HA Collagen Booster to hydrate and restore the skin. Continue using Alastin Regenerating Skin Nectar.
HYDRATE – Following your SkinPen treatment, your skin may feel drier than normal. We recommend only using HG Lift for the first 24 hours after treatment. Hyaluronic Acid is an ideal ingredient you can use to hydrate and restore the skin back to perfect balance after the first 24 hours, we have multiple options to choose from in the office.
STIMULATE – In the days following your SkinPen treatment, and as the skin starts to regenerate, collagen-stimulating peptides are ideal to maximize the effects of the stimulation already started by the microneedling treatment. We recommend Alastin Regenerating Skin Nectar followed by either Alastin Restorative Skin Complex or SkinMedica TNS Advanced+ Serum
MAKEUP – We recommend you do not apply makeup for 24 to 72 hours after the procedure. In addition, do not apply any makeup with a makeup brush, especially if the brush has not been cleaned
PROTECT – Avoid sun exposure directly after your treatment as you will not be wearing sunscreen for the first 24 hours after treatment. After 24 hours, we recommend a chemical-free sunscreen. Keep in mind that you should continue to use a sunscreen everyday—not only the days following your procedure—as part of your skincare routine to protect your skin from sun damage and premature aging.
To ensure the proper healing environment, do NOT use any Alpha Hydroxy Acids, Beta Hydroxy Acid, Retinol (Vitamin A), Vitamin C (in a low pH formula) scrubs or anything perceived as “active” skincare for one week post treatment.
Always wear sunscreen.
Do not go swimming for at least 72 hours post-treatment.
Do not exercise or participate in strenuous activity for the first 72 hours post-treatment. Sweating and gym environments in general are harmful and filled with bacteria, which may cause adverse reactions in your skin.